It was February 1979.  I was too close to homeless (again).  I was one of the last hold-outs in a violent and illegal eviction of an entire brownstone of SRO domiciles.  The bad guys had won.  This kind of stuff was going on all over Manhattan at that time.  It was the onset of a 20 year steamroller of gentrification (but that's another story).

I was living at the Upper West Side YMCA for something like $30. a day.  I payed for it by playing my silver alto sax in Times Square for loose change.  It worked.  My policy was "If its above freezing, get out there".  I used to set up on the West side of the square between 46th & 47th St, or wherever there was a construction wall, full of posters.  I tried to stay on the West side of the square in order to get the warm sun in the early/midday.

Well, there I am, not really playing anything; just scatting around, as usual.  Its post-rush hour and there aren't too many people on the square, but I'm hungry. 

This scene is nothing like Times Square, as it is today.  The streets were filthy - even slippery.  The sidewalks would shine with the burnishing of a billion footsteps.  The signs in the square were worn and forgotten.  Every kind of vice had a  grayed, visual presence on the square in those days.  Not many cops on the payroll.  If you were a rube in Times Square, it sucked to be you.

He was the only person on the sidewalk, when he came into view.  My back was against a plywood, poster covered wall, facing the street.  When you see someone with star power out of the corner of your eye, you tend to do in involuntary double-take.  So I have the sax in the corner of my pie hole, while I'm working the keys.  I'm checking this guy out and its Tom Waits!

Tom Waits!  How cool is this!  I was a fan since his 1975 "Nighthawks At The Diner"
as well as "Foreign Affairs" (1977).  His rendition of "Waltzing Matilda" from Foreign Affairs is one of the most moving performances in my memory.

The dude just walks by.  I expected that.  He looked like he was just awake.  He had a tall, skinny and lanky frame.  He was several days in need of a shave, and young!  I was surprised by that.  Seeing him on Martin Mull's short-lived Fernwood Tonight late night talk show spoof, and listening to his gin soaked vocals, somehow gave the impression of an older dude.  


I was just psyched to see him.  I didn't know, or care, how I was sounding.  It wasn't too unusual to see "famous people" when you spend a lot of time on the street.  But, I wish I could have talked to him.  Let him know how cool I think he is.  So, as he passes out of sight, I just go back to doing my thing.

He came back from where he disappeared, a few minutes later.  He was looking over the front page of the newspaper he just bought.  He walked over to my case and threw in a buck.  I stopped playing.

"Thanks, man, hey, I know who you are!  Tom Waits.  I really dig your stuff."
"Not too bad, kid.  Keep it up" said Waits.

After about 10 seconds of pleasantries, he says "Well, I'm gonna go and get some breakfast.  See ya later, kid."  And started to walk downtown.
"Yeah, me too" I replied.  "As soon as I get another dollar, or so."

He stopped in the middle of his step, turned half his body back towards me, with a look of genuine surprise on his face.

"You ain't had no breakfast, kid?  C'mon, I'll buy you breakfast."


We waked around the corner to the Howard Johnson's that had been on 46th & Bway for the last two generations.  We both had bacon and eggs (I think that's what he had), and chatted about how blown away I was about the Foreign Affairs album (way before CDs).  We chatted a bit about the Blue Valentine album.  He registered a slight disappointment
with Blue Valentine's sales performance.  I was such a dweeb.  I thought I was doing him a favor by recommending that he knock off a couple of gigs at The Mudd Club.  The club was red hot and they were paying well.  I remember his grinning, knowing, nod of approval, as he blew it off immediately.

After chatting for about a half an hour, he excused himself and we hit the street, going separate ways.

So the next time you see Tom Waits on TV or in the movies (he does a lot of small, ecentric parts), or you hear his totally unique style of crooning, please remember this:
At the height of his career, had had a buck for a kid with a sax in the street, and he even bought him breakfast.  When's the last time you, or I did that?

Peace, Luv, Happiness,
Big Rob D

Big Rob Loves u!

Now you can love him back.
Click on my links, if you are in the mood for shopping.
I use most of the products below and I personally recommend them.
Thanx!

Big Rob Loves
Your Computer



This is one of the software titles that I just outright buy. I always make sure I have it installed. In the early days, these people were the only ones who could defrag an NT formatted drive. They know what they are doing. Frankly, I am NOT a fan of Windows Defrag.

Download a free trial!

Amazon Rocks!

Amazon is a totally awesome shopping experience!
  • Always go here for reviews for anything you may be thinking of buying.
  • Create a free account.
  • Save stuff to your wish list.
  • Get sensible recommendations, based on your shopping history!
  • You're gonna love it!